By Elizabeth Demarest
In her new ebook, Betty Demarest describes a daring schedule for schooling reform—one that's firmly grounded in a synthesis of academic study approximately studying, instructing, and the contexts of schooling. The author’s “learning-centered” framework contains: (1) a extensive and balanced set of schooling ambitions, (2) a multi-faceted notion of feat, (3) lecture room ability for studying, (4) systemic means and infrastructure, (5) shared, reciprocal responsibility, and (6) platforms of a number of exams. New research-based thoughts in those six components are significantly in comparison to older thoughts at the back of standards-based reform and No baby Left Behind.
- A entire, replacement framework for destiny schooling reform that makes a speciality of bettering the center academic practices of studying, educating, content material, and leadership.
- A federal position that emphasizes significant partnerships instead of top-down control.
- A critique of prior criteria and current accountability-based frameworks, with implications of the learning-centered framework for destiny nationwide coverage, specifically ESEA
- An operational definition of academic skill, a re-conceptualization of responsibility, and a pointy reversal of the relative emphasis put on those strategies.
Elizabeth J. Demarestis an schooling advisor dwelling in Alexandria, Virginia. She was once previously with the U.S. division of schooling and the nationwide schooling Association.
“Betty Demarest essentially defines a learning-centered framework for bettering coverage and perform. Practitioners can enjoy the ideas outlining a transparent pathway for reworking to learning-centered perform in our nation’s classrooms.” —Gerald N. Tirozzi, government director, nationwide organization of Secondary institution Principals
“Betty Demarest’s deep event with learn and coverage improvement permits her to re-envision reform at many degrees, all in line with examine proof for legitimate recommendations and practices of educating and studying. This ebook is a welcome reward to policymakers and practitioners.”
—Roland Tharp, examine professor, collage of California, Berkeley
“Demarest presents a research-based beginning for expert dialogue and debate as Congress renews federal schooling legislation. Her synthesis of key concerns may still supply a place to begin for any severe dialogue of ways ahead in federal schooling policy.”
—Mary Haywood Metz, professor emerita, college of Wisconsin–Madison
Read Online or Download A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? PDF
Best education policy books
Politics, language, and tradition are 3 of the main strong forces affecting schooling this day, but they've been little mentioned with regards to systemic institution reform, the recent established order of city colleges. This publication seems to be at their results in the course of the eyes of lecturers, directors, and insider/outsiders who're really dwelling reform on the institution point in 4 extensively varied city tuition platforms: Chicago, San Francisco and Oakland, California, and Boston.
During this well timed interdisciplinary quantity, William Watkins has introduced jointly prime students and activists to handle probably the most pressing matters dealing with public schooling. what's beneath and at the back of the language of selection, potency, and development in present neoliberal discourse? How will city and negative populations be affected?
Post-secondary schooling, also known as “the new buffalo,” is a contentious yet significantly very important factor for First international locations and the way forward for Canadian society. whereas First international locations retain that entry to and investment for larger schooling is an Aboriginal and Treaty correct, the Canadian govt insists that post-secondary schooling is a social application for which they've got constrained accountability.
Rigorosa, condivisa, comprensibile: così l. a. valutazione può migliorare los angeles scuola. Non è los angeles bacchetta magica, ma un moderno sistema di valutazione può aiutare los angeles scuola italiana a rinnovarsi, evitando i rischi di declino. Come? Fornendo analisi consistent with capire le debolezze del nostro sistema d'istruzione e le ragioni dei suoi ritardi.
- Academic Freedom at American Universities: Constitutional Rights, Professional Norms, and Contractual Duties
- Rebuilding Schools for Students: Let the Change Begin (Innovations in Education)
- The Relevance of Higher Education: Exploring a Contested Notion
- Protections of Tenure and Academic Freedom in the United States: Evolution and Interpretation
- Religiöser Fundamentalismus: Konflikt und Gewalt in und zwischen Glaubensgemeinschaften (German Edition)
Additional info for A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy?
A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? by Elizabeth Demarest